Re: Samba mount fails on Fedora FC5

Hi Akemi,

Thanks a lot for your very fast response..

In the meantime I did some more research and found out the reason; the problem was on Win XP side (what else you would expect ? :)..

I found in the Win XP eventviewer the following error:

Error: The server's configuration parameter "irpstacksize" is too small for the server to use a local device. Please, increase the value of this parameter..

Then I found it by googling that this can be modified using regedit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services \lanmanserver\parameters

There was actually no IRPStackSize parameter defined on my Windows box at all, so I created a DWORD and set the value to 15, as it was suggested. After a reboot on Win XP side everything started working.

thanks,
istvan

On 1/17/07, Akemi Yagi <amyagi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 17:27:41 +0100, Szegedi Istvan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am just trying to mount a Windows share (shared on a Windows XP) to my
> desktop running Fedora FC5 but it is not working. So the setup is that my
> Fedora is the SMB client, while the Windows XP machine is the server.
>
> The following command failed with a mount error:
>
> #  mount -t cifs -o username=xxx,domain=yyy  //172.21.71.3/linuxshare  /mnt
> Password:***
> mount error 12 = Cannot allocate memory
> Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)
>
> Thanks,
> istvan

A couple of questions.  Can you connect to that share using smbclient?
How about from a Windows box?