Re: FC4 and FC6 + ethernet printer - Final remarks

On Wednesday 10 January 2007 11:05, Anne Wilson wrote:

> After following (I thought)  the wiki instructions for printing from Gimp,
> I still couldn't get it to work, so I tried their email support.  That was
> over the Christmas holiday.  Today I got a reply, clarifying the procedure,
> and sure enough it now works.
>
> It's not the speediest support ever encountered, but it is correct, concise
> and polite.  I'm happy with it.  The only function of the device that I
> haven't tested now is fax, and I probably won't, as it's not something that
> I normally need.  For everything else, I recommend this device as worthy of
> consideration.

After dealing with this, I sent a reply to Brother support, thanking them,
confirming that the new instructions worked, and pointing out where the
confusion came from the web-page instructions.  I suggested a change that
would clarify them.  Today I got a pleasant email from them, thanking me and
saying that they would amend the web pages to remove the confusion.

Brother has not been the first name to come to mind when talking of linux
compatiblity, but after the experience with this device, both quality of
linux drivers supplied and support by email, I would definitely consider them
in future.  It's good to see hardware manufacturers making such an effort.
Let's encourage them :-)

Anne