Re: Restarting modem/router through software

Paul Smith wrote:
On 1/9/07, Paul Smith <phhs80@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > You really ought to get the same IP address, then. The scheme is for > > > your DHCP client (most likely within your modem, unless you use it in a
> > > bridge mode) to "renew" the lease before the expiry period.
> > >
> > Yes, that is what "should" happen. Then again, you should not have
> > to restart the modem every couple of days. But if the modem is not
> > renewing the lease, and it is expiring, then a new IP address after
> > power-cycling the modem would be a good indication.
> >
> > > If your ISP is changing IPs on you arbitrarily, I'd be looking for
> > > another ISP.  One that isn't so mismanaged.
> > >
> > An IP address that changes before you power-cycle the modem would be
> > an indication of this, and as you said, time for a new ISP, if
> > possible. (Some places, you do not have a choice for hi-speed
> > Internet...)
>
> Thanks for all replies. The problem usually occurs during the night,
> with aMule the sole application running. How can I check whether the
> IP changed after a power cycling? (Unfortunately, I do not have many
> choices of ISPs available.)

Your guesses seem correct: my ISP changes my IP, or, at least, this
morning the modem/router was again stuck and after a power cycling the
IP was different.

It would be interesting to have a script to detect a change of IP and
restart the modem after that. Perhaps, someone here know how to do
such a script.

Paul

Maybe one of the scripts for dynamic dns services could be modified.

I was using an ISP that changed the IP every second night. Of course they would use the expiry times via DHCP. My router software didn't like this very much until after an upgrade. Maybe there is an upgrade for your router.

--
Robin Laing