Re: How can I get rid of beagle??

On Wednesday 10 January 2007 04:32, Boris Glawe wrote:
>Gene Heskett schrieb:
>> On Tuesday 09 January 2007 14:52, Boris Glawe wrote:

And I put this back in the list.

> [...]
>>>
>>> Beagle is crap. It assumes that all system resources are reserved for
>>> beagle only and it assumes that the user does nothing but searching
>>> lost stuff on his/her Desktop.
>>>
>>> My problem: I can't get rid of it! I run
>>>
>>> mono --debug /usr/lib/beagle/Settings.exe
>>> (started from the settings menu)
>>>
>>> and disable all checkboxes, and close the dialog again. After that
>>> this god damn beagle still runs. I have to kill those processes
>>> manually or log off and on. These settings are valid until the next
>>> system reboot. Beagle is then active again and magically all
>>> checkboxes in this config GUI are enabled again. I don't know whether
>>> the reactivation of beagle happens with every reboot, but I have
>>> experienced it a dozens of times, that beagle is active, though I
>>> have explicitly disabled it before.
>>>
>>> So, how can can I get rid of beagle?
>>>
>>> greets Boris
>>
>> Call up a session of yumex as root, and have yum remove it?  ISTR
>> there were 3 items to remove.  But before it removed beagle-gui, I
>> tried to get it to run and it, if it existed at all, wasn't in the
>> $PATH, so I removed them.
>
>That's what I did (actually I'm preferring yum at the terminal)!
>The problem remains: If beagle is installed it's hardly possible to
>disable it! Though a user disables beagle (with the configuration GUI),
>it will be reenabled a few system reboots later. I don't know the reason
>of how beagle can suddenly be active after having disabled it. Maybe
>it's because of some system updates, that overwrite my configuration,
>maybe it has  some other reasons.
>
>And in addition: An unexperienced user does not find out, that he/she is
>working with something called "beagle" at all. Neither the configuration
>GUI nor any search tools show me, that beagle does the searching job.
>The CPU usage is also caused by other tools (pdftotext, for example) and
>not by beagle itself. To find out, that it's beagle who i's to blame,
>requires a lot of knowledge. A task like "which of my directories
>consumes more then 100MB of space" cannot be easily done by beginners.
>Also questions like "which process has started pdftotext", can only be
>asked, if you know at all, that there's something like a process
>hierarchy in unix. Beagle is definitely addressed to unexperienced
> users.
>
>Fedora's acceptance suffers from tools like beagle, as it makes the
>system slow and and can hardly be identified as the reason for the
>performance loss.
>
>The confusion is perfect, if beagle suddenly running, though it was
>explicitly disabled before!!
>
>> Let us know please when this thing is ready for prime time, and what
>> exactly its supposed to do for us when it runs.
>
>Well, searching with beagle is extremely fast and saves a lot of system
>resources  - at the cost, that I haven't left any system resources in
>the time when I don't  search things on my desktop :-)

Sorry, to me its a waste of time and electricity to have it on a system.
On this FC6 system, and let me repeat this, there is no beagle related
option anywhere in the menu's that is capable of showing so much as a
blank open windowframe.

The most obvious thingy was 'kerry beagle' right on the main menu, which
was a total no-op, no launch feedback adjacent to the mouse cursor,
nothing.

There was another entry someplace, a 'beagle configuration' I believe,
that did cause the cursor to dance for the usual 30 second timeout, but
in the end did nothing, and the find selection on the menu takes a good
20 seconds to open a screen, but then when a search term is entered that
you know is existant, eventually comes back empty.  Does this use a
database beagle has built?  In which case it was defective I assume.

The worst part is that when I had removed all traces of it I could find
with yumex's search pattern set to 'beagle', then I had to go through the
menu's by hand and remove those entries.  The rpm -e should have taken
care of that IMO.

Now if they come up with an update that actually does something
worthwhile, I might put it back in.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)