Re: FC4 and FC6 + ethernet printer - Update

On Saturday 30 December 2006 19:56, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > The device is a Brother DCP-340CW.  There didn't seem to be much help in
> > the User Guide, but it directed me to
> > http://solutions.brother.com/linux/en_us/index.html which was a pleasant
> > surprise.  There are drivers for LPD.lpr, CUPS, CUPS-wrapper (apparently
> > to use LPR within CUPS), scanner with xsane and fax-send.  I've
> > downloaded the drivers and FAQs.  Now for happy hours trying to get them
> > to work.  I'll let you know how I go on.
>
> Hours not needed.  The documentation on the web pages is excellent.  I have
> printed via CUPS and scanned in GIMP.  There are still a few issues to iron
> out, such as printing from GIMP, but there is documentation for that too -
> I just don't have time right now.
>
> This device certainly looks worthy of consideration.  It's good to see
> Brother going to so much trouble to document it, and they offer email
> support.

After following (I thought)  the wiki instructions for printing from Gimp, I
still couldn't get it to work, so I tried their email support.  That was over
the Christmas holiday.  Today I got a reply, clarifying the procedure, and
sure enough it now works.

It's not the speediest support ever encountered, but it is correct, concise
and polite.  I'm happy with it.  The only function of the device that I
haven't tested now is fax, and I probably won't, as it's not something that I
normally need.  For everything else, I recommend this device as worthy of
consideration.

Anne