Re: Cups broken and my stomach is upset - Anger Management in Action Danger! Danger! Will Robinson!

On Wed, 2007-01-10 at 03:50 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> Just cups. Let cups do the work. Then we only have one problem to deal
> with. No Hal dinking things up, printers usually stay connected to the
> same machine. If I remove the printer, I know to configure the new
> one.  I Don't need some deamon wasting cycles peering full time at the
> port for a new printer. I don't usually buy but one, every 3-4 years.
> Set it and forget it, is MY motto. It's a good one. I really don't
> like my system being laughed at because I use Linux. I got really
> really hot and seething. If I could've used 4 letter words, the rant
> would have been far FAR spicier. Ric

I see the point in being able to automatically configure the system for
a printer (e.g. laptops that roam).  But I'd far rather than auto-setup
had a manual trigger (i.e. push this button to re-configure).  I find
auto features often get things wrong.  For that sort of reason, I always
disabled the kudzu thing that runs at startup.  I can manually run kudzu
*if* I change a system.

I read messages from the public lists.