Re: NTFS in the kernel and Dave's 2.6.19 kernel

On Tue, 2007-09-01 at 13:28 +0000, James Wilkinson wrote:
> Jeffrey Burns wrote:
> > And a question for the list - if ntfs-3g meets the requirements for
> > inclusion in Extras, what disqualifies kmod-ntfs?
>
> Dave Jones has a new 2.6.19 kernel in the works (and it's working fine
> for me on x86-64 -- thanks, Dave!)
>
> On Sunday, in
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-January/msg00500.html
> (and related), dragoran wrote:
> > can you enable the ntfs read only driver in the kernel builds? the
> > patent issues are resolved and there is no need to recompile it every
> > time the kernel gets updated.

This is the first I've heard about the patent issues with ntfs being
resolved and it's very good news. Hopefully Fedora 7 kernels will have
ntfs support enabled by default. It will make it that much easier to
transition my parents and sister to Fedora.

> Josh Boyer replied:
> > Um... This is a FC-6 erratum.  Let's not go enabling new stuff in a
> > released version.  Rawhide is where this should be enabled first.
>
> No-one else seems to have commented on it, so that seems to be the
> current status.
>
> Hope this helps,

Thank you, it did.

Jeff