Re: Mounting NTFS

John Bowden wrote:

You might add something like 'ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/xp' to rc.local and it should be ready to go when the computer is ready after boot. I do this for 'yum -y update' on a computer that I setup for novice computer users and it works for that situation. ntfs-3g should work from the script also.

Jim
--
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

I got that command to work after changing the "sda1" to hda1. I have
also added it to my rc.local file and did a reboot. I can now see my
ntfs partition. Now I can archive all the stuff in my "downloads"
directory and shrink the ntfs partition down to give my FC6 partition
more room.Thanks all for your help. Now to find out why my Psion wont
communicate with FC6

Also, some better advice was passed on regarding how to add the entry within the /etc/fstab file and have it mounted as other partitions are mounted. I did not read the documentation and was supposing that since ntfs-3g was acting like a program to mount the filesystem instead of the example giving a reference to an entry, it was outside a regular mechanism to mount filesystems. Adding the entry to rc.local is an option that I'd do and it works. It is good to read up on more normal methods as included in the link below. At least I learned from your question also that you can add the mount to /etc/fstab.

http://www.ntfs-3g.org/index.html#usage

As below excerpt from link:

Please see the ntfs-3g manual page for more options and examples. You can also make NTFS to be mounted during boot by adding the following line to the end of the /etc/fstab file:

    /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows ntfs-3g defaults 0 0

Jim

--
It occurred to me lately that nothing has occurred to me lately.