When network manager dies I can restart it, watch it spin, then reboot.

I run FC6 on a laptop.  About 1 time in 10 when I start up the network manager dies while connecting to the wireless network.  When I restart it it sees the wireless network just fine but the little dots never "green up" and it never connects.  Right now my work around is to reboot or drag myself over to the access point and use ethernet which is a PITA.  Can anyone suggest another strategy so that I can keep on working?  I have tried issuing ifconfig and iwconfig commands without success.

/Bob Cahn
Gipsy Trail Club
Carmel, NY