Re: Kopete & video

On Mon, 2007-01-08 at 16:38 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 08 January 2007 16:22, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> > Anne,
> >
> > I tried sharing my Logitech Communicate STX webcam under kopete over MSN
> > messenger network without much luck.
> > Establishing connection was a real pain in the back side (large number
> > of retires to get it working) and from time to time my image would
> > freeze (both in the preview window and on the other end).
>
> Did you have to do anything other than click on the send icon to get the video
> transmitted?  And received?

In the chat window:
Chat -> Send Webcam.
If the other side sends you an invitation, you can "accept" or "reject"
it.
After a couple of unsuccessful "accepts" I managed to establish a
connection.
But sadly enough, it didn't last... :(

> I can see it in the setup page, but haven't managed anything at all in use.

> > For now, I'm using the amsn package which seems to work just fine.
> >
> That's one I've never tried at all.

It's in extras.
It uses an old fltk interface.
AFAICS it doesn't even do AA fonts.

But it works.

> > Once I'll have some free time I'll do some testing and report the
> > problems upstream.
> >
> Thanks.
>
> I've been trying to get both kopete and ekiga working, but it's hard work if
> you don't know whether the problems are at the local end, the remote end, or
> both.

Indeed.
Even worse, the MSN protocol itself is... err... not that reliable. :(

- Gilboa