Re: postfix: can't configure $myhost, $mydomain

On Mon, 2007-01-08 at 06:32 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 08 January 2007 02:03, Colin Brace wrote:
> > I recently switched ISPs and the current one blocks outgoing traffic
> > on port 25. That is to say, all outgoing traffic on that port must be
> > routed through their SMTP server.
> >
> > (I am not happy about it, but I have to live with it for the time being.)
> >
> > By default, postfix under Fedora supplies
> > "username@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" as sender. Unfortunately, the ISP's
> > SMTP server rejects messages sent this way; it wants a FQDN.
> >
> > So, I modify these parameters in /etc/postfix/main.cf:
> >
> >   myhostname = ariel.lim.nl
> >   mydomain = lim.nl
> >   myorigin = $mydomain
> >
> > Then run # postfix reload
> >
> > But system mail still get sent out as coming from
> > "colin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" and get rejected.
> >
> > What is going wrong here? I have not enabled any of the
> > masquerade_domains stuff.
> >
> > I'm running FC6/postfix-2.3.3-2
> >
> I had a similar problem in FC6, for local mail.  Try adding the line
>
> masquerade_domains = |ariel.lim.nl
>
> That's a 'pipe' before the fqdn.
>
> Anne

That's a different way of doing it (not one I've used myself, mind you,
I've never had to use masquerading anywhere..)

2 questions:

- How is the mail injected into the system? Via mail/sendmail (command
line) or directly via SMTP (good ol' 25/tcp)

- What does postconf -n say? What about the append_dot_mydomain /
append_at_myorigin values? (The latter are especially useful if you're
injecting "unqualified" usernames (ie "colin" or "root") in via CLI
mail/sendmail.

Michael.

--
Michael Fleming <mfleming@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> in Brisbane, Australia
"Be master of your mind, not mastered by mind"