Re: CD-DVD writing?

Jeffrey Ross wrote:

> The BenQ drive on the other hand is a problem, it does not write
> CD/DVD's when connected to the IDE bus in the machine (I don't remember
> about reading as I've been writing a lot of DVD's at the moment) it
> starts up and then fails leaving me with a coaster.  However if I take
> the BenQ drive and put it in the external case that the Sony drive came
> in and plug it into the system it then works perfectly fine.

You don't mention if the Sony and the BenQ drives are both in the machine at
the same time when you try the IDE bus.  If so, try swapping them.  Also,
make sure jumpers are set the same.  IHMO, it isn't a good idea to mix
drives configured for "cable select" and ones configured as master or slave.

You should also run hdparm to ensure that using_dma is set to "on" for both
drives.

> Where do I go from here??  Suggestions?

One suggestion would be to use RW disks (if supported on your drive) to have
a re-writable coaster.  Also, try burning at a slower rate.