Re: Making Fedora Boot CD

Coy Scott wrote:
I partitioned the hard drive of my Gateway GT5224 PC so that I could make it a dual boot system. It came with Windows XP. I installed Fedora Core 6. However, I can't boot Fedora.

Whenever I installed GRUB on the master boot record (MBR) and then rebooted windows XP, the software detected "file corruption" and forced a reinstallation of Windows XP. This overwrote the MBR, removing GRUB and making it impossible to boot Fedora.

So, I tried the only other installation option. I had the installation program install GRUB on first sector of the boot partition (/dev/sda6). However, when I reboot the computer, GRUB never gets to run because Windows XP is using the MBR.

I've looked through a couple of books, and the GRUB documentation on the "gnu.org" website. But, I haven't found a solution.

Can someone point me to documentation of how to make a boot CD? Can I put GRUB on a bootable CD that will allow me to boot Windows XP or Fedora Core 6? Do you have another suggestion? Thank you.

You can re-install grub using the rescue CD which should fix your problem unless you want to do that another way. You can build a boot cd using the rescue cd and the mkbootdisk script which will build an iso file that you can burn.

--
Ita erat quando hic adveni.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator