Re: Sendmail + clamav-milter...

Drew Bertola wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Drew,
	I didn't see anyone reply to your problem.  Did you ever get it sorted out?

> I'm setting up sendmail on FC6 and am having trouble determining whether
> or not clamav-milter is properly configured and running.  I guess
> there's been some changes since the last time I set this up (FC3).
>
> I'm not sure if I need to install and run clamav-server w/
> clamav-server-sysv, but it wasn't pulled in as a dependency when I used
> yum to install clamav-milter.

Here is what I have installed:

clamav-lib-0.88.7-1.fc5.i386
clamav-milter-0.88.7-1.fc5.i386
clamav-data-0.88.7-1.fc5.i386
clamav-update-0.88.7-1.fc5.i386
clamav-0.88.7-1.fc5.i386

I can scan any files by command line that I want to.  (I check my
family's files nightly via a cron job).

> I've added the following line to my sendmail.mc and rebuilt sendmail.cf
> (followed by a sendmail restart):
>
> INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`clamav', `S=local:/var/run/clamav-milter/clamav.sock,
> F=, T=S:4m;R:4m')dnl

Matches what I have on FC5

> and the resulting sendmail.cf has:
>
> O InputMailFilters=clamav, milter-regex, greylist
> Xclamav, S=local:/var/run/clamav-milter/clamav.sock, F=, T=S:4m;R:4m

This also matches my FC5  (OK, I use spf-milter instead of milter-regex)

> When I send a mail out via "echo test | mail -v -s test
> drew@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" I do receive the mail, but there's no header telling
> me it's gone through the milter.  Anyone have an idea what's wrong?

You remembered to restart or reload sendmail, right?

Check your maillog for clamav messages.  I see some like this:

> Dec 29 16:39:17 kjc386 sendmail[3713]: kBTLdGcG003713: Milter add: header: X-Virus-Scanned: ClamAV 0.88.7/2394/Fri Dec 29 08:30:43 2006 on kjc386.framingham.ma.us
> Dec 29 16:39:17 kjc386 sendmail[3713]: kBTLdGcG003713: Milter add: header: X-Virus-Status: Clean

I don't always see something in the email headers though.  It might have
something to do with local email to local email.  When I do see them,
they are the headers:

> Also, has anyone played with milter-regex or the greylist milter?  How
> effective are they?

Greylist is *VERY* effective.  I use a 5 minute delay, and keep
addresses whitelisted for 60 days.  It cut out 90% of my SPAM when I
installed it.  Email isn't "instantaneous" anymore, but, that's the
price you pay for allowing SPAM to get out of control.

SpamAssassin is also recommended, though it may take some
time/configuring to get right for you (allowing the Bayesian Filters to
learn in addition to the other pre-configured rules).  I run mine
through procmail....

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx