Re: Copying the system from one HD to another

redhatdude@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi,
My FC6 box has an internal 40 Gig ATA hard drive in it. I'd like to upgrade it to an 80 Gig SATA drive. Is there a way to copy the whole system from one to the other so I don't have to reinstall Fedora and reconfigure all my services?
Thanks
EJ

As other people mentioned, it is possible. A Linux system, and FC6 is no exception doesn't care much where on the disk your files are, so in a very basic case, just copying files over and restoring the MBR would work. There are two things which could potentially cause trouble. Selinux and LVM. If you are running FC6 with selinux enabled (and it is a good thing to do), you would need to be careful that when you are copying the contents of the system, your security contexts get copied over as well. Theoretically, if your contexts are correct enough, restorecon will do the rest, but if your contexts are completely fubar, your system could refuse to boot. With LVM there is no real problem, you just have to remember that it is there when you partition your new hard drive. Just create the LVM volumes the same way as they are on your original system. As far as restoring MBR goes, grub is very easy that way, read the grub manual or you can read the Gentoo installation manual chapter on configuring grub (might be easier that way).