Re: ssh: Permission denied

On 12/22/06, Manuel Arostegui Ramirez <manuel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
El Viernes, 22 de Diciembre de 2006 19:22, Tim escribió:
> Tim:
> >> What happens if you try to log in as a non-root user?
>
> Simon Wu:
> > Not root works fine.
>
> You've got two choices:
>
> 1. Change the configuration to allow remote root login.  You can do this
> by editing "/etc/ssh/sshd_config" (it's quite easy to spot what needs
> changing).

Definetly, that's not a good idea at all.

Here's something that I've always been curious about.  I assume that the dangers of allowing root log-in are:

1.  It's a user name that every linux system (except ubuntu) has, so all a hacker needs is the correct password in order to gain access, rather than the correct user name and password.

2.  Once access is gained, there are no restrictions on what the user can do, as they are root.

However, if you use an 8-digit password with capital and lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols, there are 8^( 26*2 + 10*2 + 20 ) = 8^92 = 1.21e83 possible passwords.  Since ssh waits about a second after each incorrect password and there have been only 3.32e17 seconds in the history of the universe, it seems scritcly /impossible/ for a password to be guessed.  So the risk must not be from password-bots.  What is the risk then?

Also, right now I set up sudo so it doesn't prompt for passwords, so in effect, any user that logs in can become root.  Is this very very bad as well?

--
Dylan

Type faster.  Use Dvorak:
http://dvzine.org