Re: OS Future now that Fedora Legacy defunct

On Thursday 21 December 2006 17:45, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Dave Ihnat <dihnat <at> dminet.com> writes:
> > with Windows ME or Windows XP Home ever have upgraded (and they usually
> > find-- especially the former--that the hardware can't hack the upgrade.)
>
> This is not that big an issue with Fedora. The most memory-hungry part of
> Fedora is actually the installer, and you can bypass that by using a
> depsolver like yum or apt on a running system with lots of swap space for
> your upgrades instead. The CPU is mostly irrelevant for the core OS. (Some
> apps like OpenOffice.org 2 and Eclipse are another story. But there are
> more lightweight alternatives, e.g. AbiWord or KWord instead of OO.o
> Writer. And even here, RAM is more of a limiting factor than CPU power, the
> main problem is HDD thrashing caused by swapping panic.)
>
> Case in point, I'm running FC6 on a 266 MHz laptop which originally shipped
> with Window$ 98 (The first exemplaries sold even came with Window$ 95!),
> with RAM upgraded from 32 MB to the maximum supported (160 MB). I had to
> fight some interesting battles with Anaconda, so for FC5->FC6 I just used
> apt-get dist-upgrade and that worked fine (unlike the horror stories from
> some Ubuntu users). But once installed, KDE just works. I have a more
> powerful desktop for everyday use, but when I need a laptop, the 266 MHz
> one works fine.

You miss the point, Kevin.  Of course you can upgrade on older systems - if
you want to.  I've done it myself.  I have two boxes, though, that run FC4
and for several reasons I do not want to upgrade them.  It's just 10 months
since FC4 was installed on both of them.  I don't need the latest and
greatest on either of them, but I do want security updates, and I'm not going
to get them.  Frankly, Legacy was the biggest reason I had for coming to
Fedora.  I understand about the lack of manpower in volunteer situations, but
I'm less than happy.  If I have to install afresh to get a secure system I'll
probably change to CentOS rather than install FC6 on those boxes.

Anne