Re: Lost Gnome after upgrade to Kernel-2.6.18-1.2868.fc6

On Tue, 2006-12-19 at 09:58 -0500, fedora-list-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 06:55:27 -0500
> From: Jim Cornette <fc-cornette@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Lost Gnome after upgrade to Kernel-2.6.18-1.2868.fc6
> To: For users of Fedora <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Ed Gurski wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-12-19 at 03:45 -0500, fedora-list-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >
> >> Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 03:41:34 -0500
> >> From: Ed Gurski <ed@xxxxxxxxxx>
> >> Subject: Lost Gnome after upgrade to Kernel-2.6.18-1.2868.fc6
> >> To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
> >>
> >> I updated to Kernel-2.6.18-1.2868.fc6 and now I no longer have Gnome. My
> >> login screen  no longer lists Gnome as an option.  I was able to logon
> >> into KDE and saw that Gnome was unchecked with Software updater? I ran
> >> rpm -qa | grep gnome and saw the packages installed, but the Software
> >> updater says otherwise.
> >>
> >> On my other systems (4) I was able to install the new kernel without the
> >> same problem... I also noticed that if I ran rpm -qa |grep gnome-d | wc
> >> -l  the working systems have 54 packages and the fouled-up system only
> >> has 38.. Has anyone else experienced this?
> >>
> >> I let the Software Update install Gnome again and will restart the GUI.
> >>
> > SOLVED
> >
> > Well re-installing GNOME solved the problem, but I'm stil not sure what
> > caused it in the first place......
> >

> I remove gnome-screensaver which causes GNOME not to be installed in the
> view of the software installer. GNOME is still installed minus a few
> components that were removed intentionally. I guess if some components
> which would be pulled in using a group install are triggering the group
> listings to show that they are not present. This is regardless if every
> other package from the group is installed.
>
> What components were pulled in when you "reinstalled" GNOME?
>
> Jim
>
> --
> All progress is based upon a universal innate desire of every organism
> to live beyond its income.
> 		-- Samuel Butler, "Notebooks"

I'm at work now and don't have access to my system --- However, if my
memory serves me right there were some base an optional products
installed. I will look at my logs and post the results when I am back
home...

Thanks
--
Ed Gurski <ed@xxxxxxxxxx>