Re: How to install Java/Frefox in FC6 -

On Sun, 2006-12-17 at 11:49 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> bookmark this site, it's invaluable. Just follow the steps, use cut
> n paste, and you'll have to right on the button.
> http://www.stanton-finley.net
>
> This one is a keeper, the steps for FC5 are good for FC6.

I tried that with FC6, just a few days ago.  The Sun site had moved onto
Java 1.6.0, which didn't work (installed, no errors, just doesn't appear
to work when I tested it).  I've just had another bash, making sure I
got all the new paths right.  The Java test page (*) doesn't work with
Java 1.6.0 (no results are shown, it's blank in the test part), but I
don't know if that's just the test page.  I don't know a site using Java
to test it with, but the games I tried on the Sun site didn't work.

Today, when I tried the link from the Stanton-Finley site, Sun didn't
redirect me to the latest, but stayed at the release number the link was
intended for (1.5.x).  It's now jre1.5.0_10 instead of jre1.5.0_8, so
the paths in the examples to copy and paste need correcting.  That done,
it worked, but the test page wants to install a JRE plug in, even though
it's apparently working, and tells me I'm using an old version.  The
games apparently work (not that *I* can play them).

Anybody care to make suggestions?  Stick with the old version, solutions
to make the current version work?  It was the "current" release version
I tried, not the latest, not yet release-version, version.

* Java test page: <http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml>