Re: Javascript fails

On Fri, 2006-12-15 at 11:25 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> I was just at a web site looking for info on receiving ATSC tv on my
> pcHDTV-3000 card, and wasn't able to visit several of the links because
> javascript wasn't enabled.  According to FF it is.
----
then it is
----

> However, I don't think any java function has worked since installing FC6.
----
java-gcj-compat is part of the fedora package and should work for much
of what is needed but apparently you are confusing java with javascript
which other than sharing the first 4 letters, do not have anything to do
with each other, nor have they ever had a shared history.
----

> Is there a set way to do this, or have TPTB decided that they cannot
> tolerate the Sun license, so java is history?  That seems rather short
> sighted to me...
----
Sun's release of java recently changed to a GPL license for most but not
all of their code base and it may take some time to sort through it all
and the gpl version of java (gcj-compat) has made great strides so their
is no great imperative to simply abandon what's already in the
distribution simply because Sun changed the license (after FC-6 was
released I might add though I am doubtful that Sun's java will make it
into FC-7).

It may seem short sighted to you but then again, you don't know the
difference between java and javascript.

Craig