Re: cpu overheating

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 01:42:43 -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:

> You completely missed my point. Dismissing this as "well, your hardware
> shouldn't do that" is
>
> S-T-U-P-I-D
>
> because, even though it means the hardware is marginal at best, it is a
> hint that
>
> THERE MAY BE A DEFECT IN THE SOFTWARE.

What the hell are you going on about?

One of the soak tests I used to do on PCs that I shipped out to people was
running them at full CPU utilisation for 24 hours. If your machine gets
too hot because it is doing something CPU intensive... then your machine
is faulty. I don't know whether Linux is being too picky about the
temperature and Windows isn't... but you are simply talking out of your
arse here. Saying that software which fully utilises the CPU has a DEFECT
is witless drivelling of the worst kind.

> And that should not be ignored.
>
> My point wasn't that his or any CPU *should* be overheated by bad
> software. My point was that hints that there might be a defect in the
> software should not be ignored.

Yes... they should... because you have no idea what you are talking about.
Now if you want to discuss why you are seeing the warning on Linux and not
on Windows, I suggest you start being more sensible.