Re: cpu overheating

Gordon Messmer wrote:
Mike McCarty wrote:

It is a well-known fact that faulty software can overheat CPUs.

No, it isn't. It is, however, a well-known fact that CPUs generate more heat when they're executing instructions than they do when they're idle. If the CPU overheats when it's busy, then the cooling system has failed

What? You didn't actually read what I wrote, or you wouldn't write this.
I did not write "Faulty software can overheat CPUs which have properly
designed cooling which can handle worst case."

and needs to be replaced. It is never a software fault. Software

No, just cheaply designed. There are MANY processors which cannot
run GIMPS, for example, because they have "good enough for normal
case" cooling designs.

(possibly in the BIOS) *may* be able to slow the CPU down if it exceeds some defined temperature threshold, but that's a cross-your-fingers type of safeguard against a failed cooling system.

You completely missed my point. Dismissing this as "well, your
hardware shouldn't do that" is

S-T-U-P-I-D

because, even though it means the hardware is marginal at best,
it is a hint that

THERE MAY BE A DEFECT IN THE SOFTWARE.

And that should not be ignored.

My point wasn't that his or any CPU *should* be overheated
by bad software. My point was that hints that there might
be a defect in the software should not be ignored.

Please engage your reading ability before responding next
time. You might actually respond to what was written.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.