Re: cpu overheating

Ed Greshko wrote:
Mike Chalmers wrote:

I like Linux, alot. I mean alot. I like what it stands for (besides
the corporations). But my CPU has never overheated. I am pretty sure
that it is not my hardware. It could be a bug in Linux. The kernel
could be be sending incorrect frequencies to the hardware or something
like that.

Hummmm....  Something like that happened to me years ago...  Let me think.
Oh, right.....

[snip]

It is a well-known fact that faulty software can overheat CPUs.
You might investigate the GIMPS which has a test program intended
specifically to ascertain whether it can run on a machine, or
will in fact cause it to overheat. If he somehow got Linux or some
part of it into a tight loop due to a software defect, it might very
well have caused the overheating.

Don't toss this aside lightly. Give it due consideration. It is
likely not a fault of Linux, but don't just disregard this.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.