Re: nvidia vs kmod-nvidia

On 12/10/06, spmirowski <spmirowski@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I suppose you could argue that it's to much work for nvidia to support
> one of the largest Linux distros. However, they seem to handle
> supporting Windows okay, but then again, there's a much larger market
> share and I'm sure there's a greater financial incentive.
>
> It would be nice to see nVidia support FC by incorporating livna, but
> then again, I also understand it's easier for them from many many
> perspectives to make the drivers available and let the distro fend for
> itself.

It would be silly to expect a nVidia to support a few distros
specifically with
packages.  To support FC, they would need to build at least two version
(5 and 6)
then 586, or 686 kernels, plus SMP, etc.  Now add a couple more popular
distros
and you have what 10 - 20 builds per driver version?  What about the
near most
popular distros.  They will whine and cry foul.

You do know that it is all automated (mostly) right?

--
Fedora Core 6 and proud