Re: *ALMOST* longing for Windows stability

Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> On 12/6/06, Craig White <craigwhite@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> in -

>> I could
>> presented

>> the
>> my life

>> fix is
>> screen when

>> > I really hate to show ignorance, but it's never stopped me before. From
>> > the grub screen, how do I get it to boot to runlevel 3? I'm more than
>> > willing to get information to help people help me.
>> >
>> > I'd agree with the crash when I get the black screen, but I'm not sure
>> > how that would cause the "Out of Range" errors.
>> ----
>> Press 'e' at initial grub screen. Use arrow keys to move to 'kernel'
>> line. Press 'e' to edit
>>
>> Add to end of line ' linux 3'
>> Press 'Enter' to save
>> Press 'b' to boot
>>
>> or
>>
>> After bootup, Press <Control><Alt><F2> to get a virtual console. Login
>> as root. Type 'init 3' and press enter (type 'init 5' to return to
>> runlevel 5 when you are done).
>>
>> If you are at runlevel 3, you can probably just fix the setup anyway by
>> typing...
>>
>> system-config-display --reconfig
>>
>> I suspect that your 'sync' rates are set too high for your LCD which is
>> why I suggested that you post
>
> It seems highly unlikely that the problem is xorg.conf, as he stated
> that it works fine some small percentage of the time.  Something bad
> is happening elsewhere.

Adding to it, a Google shows that this has been seen by other people ...
and not necessarily all Fedora users. I know that my Windows 2000 boot
comes up 100% of the time. Before I did a switch, my Kubuntu 5.1 system
came up 100% of the time and didn't crash at logoff. I'll agree that
something is happening somewhere (I love being specific <g>), but I
haven't the foggiest what or where. That's why I turned to the experts
here. The amount of knowledge in this user base is astounding.