Re: Copy EVERYTHING

On 05Dec2006 21:54, Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| Cameron Simpson wrote:
| >On 05Dec2006 17:59, Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| >| Is there an archive format which does handle links properly? I'm talking
| >| about being able to store stuff on CDROM and get it back.
| >
| >Tar does.
|
| I was not aware that tar can handle hard and soft links
| stored in it.

Seems to work just fine.

| I thought that the cpio and the tar people
| each accused the other group of not handling links properly.

Hmm. I actually thought cpio did hardlinks too.
The cpio.h header supports a C_ISLNK type for symbolic links,
so the format should cope, you'd think.
Hard links are easy if the format records the inode number;
you just notice the repetition.

I know the GNU tar and STAR (posix tar) formats do long file names
incompatibly.
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743