Re: Copy EVERYTHING

Cameron Simpson wrote:
On 05Dec2006 10:18, Hadders <fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| Then I'll mount the old partitions and run the following command I which | got from an earlier email
| http://pj.freefaculty.org/cgi-bin/twiki/view.pl/Linuxtips/CopyEntireFilesystemsExactly
| | > cd /oldpart; find . -xdev | cpio -padm /newpart | | Is it really as easy as that to copy everything?

Yes. Rsync will do it too, and variations on the above command using tar
instead of cpio.  But anything that copies every file and directory and
preserves all the ownerships and permissions will do.
Thanks. I'm looking to copy everything as I'm migrating disks. I just want to get everything over to the new disk/partitions, none of the user ids are changing so keeping ownership is essential.
I'm not looking to upgrade to FC6, just shuffle sideways.

I figure the only things I'll have to do is reconfigure any mappings in /etc/fstab that don't use Labels and run Grub again with new config settings to reference the SATA container.