Re: Updating FC6 x86_64

Andrew Ritter wrote:
> I have installed FC6 x86 on a HP notebook (dual boot) and have no problem
> running updating files.  I have also installed FC6 x86_64 on a desktop, but
> have been unable to retrieve and apply any updates.
>
> When the desktop PC boots to FC6, and I have logged on to the FC6
> desktop, I receive a message "Your system is currently not receiving
> software updates. Please check your network connection and/or set up
> software." After closing the error message window and manually
> initiating the updater, I get a message "Unable to retrieve update
> information." The detail shows "Cannot find a valid baseurl for
> repo:core." This problem is not caused by a lack of a network
> connection; I am able to connect using a browser.

Are you on a home network, or one set up by an organisation? Do you have
to enter any proxy settings in the browser? (If so, you'll have to set
and export HTTP_PROXY: Google for details, or ask if that doesn't work).

Have you modified the yum configuration? (If you haven't, don't -- it
will be easier for us to get this working with a default configuration.)

If you open a terminal, and run
host mirrors.fedoraproject.org
what happens?

What happens if you become root:
su -
(and enter the root password when prompted) and then run:
yum update
(yes, this is still in a terminal).

James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | "WARNING: Letters may be used to construct words or
aprilcottage.co.uk | phrases which some people may find objectionable"