Re: Totem=noshow

On Mon, 2006-12-04 at 08:07 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-12-04 at 09:42 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>
> > Craig, you are being purposely difficult, I've made it plain several times
> > that what I'm concerned with is the ability to play the videos in any
> > link I might run into off of a site such as /. or cnn.news.
> >
> > You keep treating me like a damned pie-rat that wants to make wholesale
> > copies of a popular movie & hawk them on a street corner or flea market.
> > The only copying I might do is a fair use copy, like putting it on my
> > hard drive and the dvd back in its shell on the shelf.  But I have not
> > done that to the half dozen movies I do own on dvd yet.  So stuff it
> > someplace dark please, I'm tired of the accusations.
> ----
> this was your original post...
>
> > What can I replace totem with that will work?
> >
> > I'm plumb out of patience with its I can't play this messages that do
> > not
> > tell you what it can't play.
>
> this was my reply...
>
> > you mean kind of like the vague information that I see here?
> >
> > Just taking a wild ass guess at your problem, I would guess that you
> > need to install an unlicensed version of libdvdcss so you can decrypt
> > encrypted commercial DVD movies.
>
> you can interpret my reply any way that you wish I would suppose but
> given the information presented in the question, I am certain that it
> was an appropriate and helpful answer.
>
> I agree that you clarified your problem 4 hours later - probably after
> getting a number of replies from others who were similarly unable to
> deduce what you were trying to accomplish any more than I could.
>
> The follow up post to which you are replying here was a reply to Kurt
> Wall. It had no consideration about what you intended to do with
> libdvdcss as that clearly is none of my concern. It wasn't directed
> towards you at all so the inferences that you have drawn concerning your
> activities were clearly your own.

Maybe not but look at the thread you are writing in.  "Reply to Kurt
Wall" notwithstanding, with this rhetoric, if I was Gene, I'd be making
it clear that any copies I were making would be fair use copies, period.

> If I had a complaint to make about your questions/posting, they would be
> about being vague and not specific and the fact that you seem to find it
> too easy to merely ask the list the questions that get asked at least
> every other week and don't bother searching the archives - just like
> your follow up questions about rebuilding rpm db. I would expect that
> someone who has been on the list as long as you have and using RHL/FC as
> long as you have, that you would know how to ask specific questions and
> demonstrate what research that you have done to solve the problem.

Which is a good place to go, but not necessarily indicative of any
shortcomings in Gene's posts.  You yourself might benefit from a
meticulous re-read of Raymond's work; since your starting approach is
not one that I think ESR would have taken.

WWESRD

LX

--
Kites rise highest against the wind -- not with it.