Re: /var Filesystem Space

On Mon, 2006-12-04 at 10:15 -0500, Gene Poole wrote:
> I've got /var on a separate filesystem.  Since I've upgraded to FC6, I've
> discovered that the space is not adequate to support the FC6 updates.  Two
> questions:
>    1.  Can someone give me a estimate on how large this filesystem should
>    be?
>    2.  How can I add space to a standard ext3 filesystem?
> I realize that the initial update will require the most space, so a
> temporary increase would be the best.
----
First, you might want to see where the space is being consumed and see
if there isn't some worthless stuff there...for example, I believe that
until FC-5, it was standard for yum to 'cache' all the update rpm's
which could take up a lot of space. You might want to try 'yum clean
cache' or 'yum clean all' to see if that frees up some space.

To see where the space is being consumed, try 'du -sh /var/*'

In answer to your questions...

1. it depends upon what you are doing on the system.

MySQL & PostgreSQL store their data in /var/lib
Apache will use /var/www/
Various mail programs will use /var/spool

There is no single best answer to question 1

2. LVM allows you to add another drive or change partition sizing. I am
gathering though that you have hard partitioned and not used LVM.
Sometimes you can get away with bind mounting where there is space to
another place where there isn't much space. For example, presume that I
have space in /home that I can yield and I have a lot of data
in /var/spool/mail that I would like to relocate...

mkdir /home/mail
mv /var/spool/mail /var/spool/mail-old
mkdir /var/spool/mail
cp -av /var/spool/mail-old /home/mail
mount --bind /home/mail /var/spool/mail

should sort of work (I'm doing this off the top of my head).

Once you have this working and your data is available, then you could
delete /var/spool/mail-old and add the bind mount to /etc/fstab

Craig