Re: Strange Ethernet Problem on FC5 x86 (port changes randomly once rebooted!)

On Mon, 4 Dec 2006, Jake Angulo wrote:

Guys,

This problem is blowing me away, i really wonder if somebody else has
experienced this.  No errors at all!
But what is strange is the behavior of my ethernet ports.

OS: FC5 i386  kernel-smp-2.6.18-1.2200.fc5.i686.rpm
Machine: Dell Poweredge w/ 2 broadcom gb ethernet, and 2 intel 10/100
ethernet.

So basically, i have:  eth0, eth1, eth2, eth3

What happens is that for every random "n" times i reboot my machine, my
network interface assignments (eth0, eth1, eth2, eth3) seem to be be
randomly interchanged!
ie: eth0 before reboot, becomes eth3 or eth1 after reboot, and so on!
At first i thought one port was defective, but then i realized what was
happening when i tried to physically move the UTP cable from one port to
another, and miraculously i can now ping what used to be my logical port,
magically transferred to another physical port!

[...]

Pls help!  Any suggestions, or thoughts, or links to solutions would be very
highly appreciated.

What version of initscripts? The latest for FC5 is initscripts-8.31.6-1.i386.rpm. Between the original release and this one, there was a fix included for this issue.

BTW, device naming bugs showed up in FC6 as well. initscripts-8.45.7-1 in updates-testing is supposed to fix them.

Thanks!

Jake

--
		Matthew Saltzman