grub/core6

I just installed fedora Core6 and now I can't boot up the system.

I have a dual boot system here; winXP on a drive by itself (hda) and fedora core6 on its own drive (hdb).

After things were installed with grub as my default boot manager I can't get into fedora 6 at all. A boot takes me right into windows with no
stopping at the grub process.

To try and get this working I have tried doing a 'reinstall' of core6 but even though the process said it was installing grub all over again, it never appeared. And than I thought of using the rescue disk and trying to get things going that way. And that failed. But here is what I had done..

Fedora Core6 rescue disk - boot.
ran chroot /mnt/sysimage
Than I ran grub-install /dev/hda, and that gave me "/dev/hda does not have any corresponding BIOS drive. So I ran grub-install again but used /dev/hdb with the same result . /dev/hdb is my core6 installation drive. I even ran grub-install /dev/hdb1 and /dev/hda1 all with the same result: "/dev/hdX does not have any corresponding BIOS drive."

That leaves me at a standstill with no way to get into my Fedora installation. Is there a way using the resuce disk to boot into core6?
I don't know there is a way, but if there is that would be nice to know.

The bottom line is - what is wrong with the grub installation process that it won't write anything to anything to get the system to dual boot.??

---
Ted Gervais,
Coldbrook, Nova Scotia, Canada