Re: can't play avi file

Axel Thimm wrote:
On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 10:59:40PM -0800, Darlene Wallach wrote:

taharka wrote:

Ric,

On Tue, 2006-11-28 at 21:40 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:

On Tue, 2006-11-28 at 21:29 -0500, taharka wrote:

How do,
On Tue, 2006-11-28 at 21:09 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:

On Sat, 2006-11-25 at 23:31 -0800, Darlene Wallach wrote:

It is a video of a session of a course on Haskell, a functional
programming language, at a German University.

I'm very disappointed I can't play the videos on my computer. I
was looking forward to watching the videos to learn more about
Haskell. Someone who has watched some of the videos recommends
them highly.

Just for grins I tried other packages like Xine, Mplayer, VLC,
Kaboodle... nothing worked. Have you managed to get it working?
I didn't dnload it, I just tried to stream it in Firefox. Ric

Worked for me using Firefox 2.0 on FC3 using the Mplayer
plugin. Also, downloaded the file, burned it onto CDRW & it plays
in Mplayer.

Crap. No... just saying crap as in exasperation, not to you!! That
is one of the downsides of a complete install. There is some lib
file somewhere that will decipher that thing and I'm clearly
missing it. I hate when that happens. Evidently Darlene is missing
it as well. Got a clue? Ric

No clue at all :-( Mplayer/plug in versions maybe? You could
download the file, run it through Mplayer via the cli & see what
errors it spits out.  Note, if using wget to download this file,
you'll be SOL. wget doesn't seem to like the () characters in the
file name/path :-(

taharka,

This is what I get using mplayer via the command line:
$ mplayer 2005-SS-FP.V01.2005-04-12.HDV_low.avi
MPlayer 1.0rc1-3.4.4 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team

X11 error: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)?,?% 0 0

MPlayer interrupted by signal 6 in module: vo_check_events
- MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
 It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your
 gcc version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault, please read
DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html and follow the instructions there. We can't and won't help unless you provide this information when reporting a possible bug.

Where did you get that mplayer and what distro are you using it on?
This is not FC6, FC5 or FC4, it could be FC3 or RHEL4.

FWIW using ATrpms' packages the file plays OK on FC5 and FC6.

I have FC3 and I don't remember if mplayer came from extras or
dag or which package.

Darlene