Re: apt vs yum

On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 08:52:16PM -0600, Blake Thornton wrote:
> Can someone explain to me the differences, if any, of yum versus apt?
>
> I really like the graphical tool synaptic, which I believe is just a front
> end to apt.  On the other hand, I haven't found a nice graphical tool for
> yum (yumex, kyum, smart aren't nearly as nice as synaptic).

smart is not a front end to either yum or apt, it's a depsolver of its
own.

apt's benefits to both yum and smart are its lightning speed. Its
main drawback is that it is too big source code wise and therefore any
maintenance is more compilcated that with yum/smart. smart has the
better dependency resolution (IMHO) of all.

yum has very good plugin support, so anything the standard yum doesn't
do, you can write a plugin (I used it to add kmdl support to yum). apt
has also plugin support, and smart has some rudimentary plugin
support, still far from yum's.

But you can use all three (consecutively!) and judge for
yourself.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net