RE: We need a Yast in Fedora

On Mon, 2006-11-27 at 22:50, Ric Moore wrote:

> > > I wouldn't think it would be impossible to build the 'perfect tool'
> > > though. The thing that blew that (crud! cannot remember the name of the
> > > caldera all-in-one application they had back when) whateverits name out
> > > of the water was that it wouldn't check for hand-edits... it would blow
> > > them off reading from it's own history file. A really good one would
> > > read the conf files each time and go from there. Jeeeezzz. what was the
> > > name of that thing? The guy that wrote it really tried hard, and his
> > > heart was in the right place... but this is a pretty tough crowd...
> > > ornery too!  It went down in flames and ashes, tomatoes tossed with
> > > great abandon. Someone help me on this... what was the name of that? Ric
> > ----
> > linuxconfig
> >

> Yes! Owww! Now my head hurts from Total Rekall. I'm in the way-back
> machine with flashy lights around my head, bound at the feet and wrists,
> and thrashing around with eyeballs bulging from the remembrance of it.
> Ow! Ow! Head - hurts - bad! Was it Linuxconfig or Linuxconf? Ow! That
> hurt too. Ow! I'll just think of 'yum'. Ow! rpm? Ow!
> system-network-config? OW OW! I'm gonna turn this thing off and take an
> aspirin. It all hurts. Ric

Linuxconf - and the thing it really did wrong was that it would
rewrite and "fix" _all_ of your config files even if you
were just trying to tweak one little thing.  So you could
expect sendmail to be restored to its broken-as-delivered
state every time you added a user or something.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx