SATA install problem with FC6

I installed FC6 over the weekend on a new drive. Had an interesting problem getting it to work.

The system is an Intel Pentium 4 3ghz hyperthread box with a real Intel motherboard. (Don't remember the chipset at the moment.) I have installed Fedora on it before without seeing this problem.

The system boots off of /dev/sda. All of the previous versions installed correctly to that drive and grub worked correctly.

This time it tried to install grub on /dev/hdc. (hda is a dvd drive.)

When I looked at the bios, it had the primary boot drive listed at hdc, but it booted off of sda.

Weird.

I rearranged things in the bios and then reinstalled and everything got installed correctly with grub.

I have no idea why it would install with the old versions and not with the later. The machine was pretty confused as to what it should have been booting from. The configuration it had should not have worked at all.

For those who are having problems getting FC6 to work might want to check to see what their bios is set to boot from. It might not be what you really want.

--
Q: Why do programmers confuse Halloween and Christmas?
A: Because OCT 31 == DEC 25