Re: Pirut

> After installing fc5 from cd's  and having installed some other packages not
> available through yum, I initiated a general update via pirut except for my
> openoffice installation.

Firstly, are you *sure* you mean "pirut" and not "pup"?

It looks like if you have OpenOffice.org installed with RPMs. In that
case, you'll want to put something like
exclude=openoffice*
in /etc/yum.conf. That should stop all yum-related programs from
upgrading it.

> Pirut removed files from the /opt/OO/program/.. directory! They have been
> purged! For instance the swriter, the scalc and some twenty others
> vanished!

Well, if pup thought it was supposed to upgrade openoffice, then this is
not surprising. They will have been replaced by the equivalents in /usr.

> Most inexplainable pirut even removed filed from an umounted device!
> With me /opt resides on an extra device which had been unmounted before the
> update! (I regard this to be a serious problem).

This one is arguable. I haven't tried reproducing it (because it would
take a fair amount of set-up). One *could* argue that if a upgrade tool
needs to mount a filesystem to get a view of the directory tree
consistent with what RPM expects. I would agree with you, though, that it
should either error out, or at least ask for options.

That's assuming that you don't have something like autofs running, which
would remount the device when pup looked at the directories in question.

> So this is my echo $PATH:
> /usr/lib/qt-3.3/bin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/home/ulrich/bin
>
> Nothing like opt. I use absolute paths for starting OO

But OO itself uses a lot of other files in various ways, and various path
settings might affect which ones it finds.

James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | a11y: There's a sense of irony in a term defining
aprilcottage.co.uk | accessability which makes non tech savvy people go