Re: Backups

sön 2006-11-26 klockan 15:38 -0600 skrev Michael Satterwhite:
> When running kubuntu, I used the dar backup program. I don't see it in
> the Fedora repositories. Is there something that the Fedora users
> recommend - or is this one I need to compile and install?

I would suggest you use rdiff-backup, and make a backup to some other
machine, preferably in another building. To get encrypted transfer, use
ssh. To make it even better use lvm2 to make a snapshot of the file
system before you backup.

The advantage of rdiff-backup is that it creates a copy of the latest
version of your file system, and then creates diffs so that you can
create older version.

This means that you can restore tha latest version of a file just
by plain old copying. It also means that you can store the diffs
on CD or DVD and then remove them from yor backup machine.

It handles both ACLs and extended file properties.

Regerds
Uno Engborg