Re: Ubuntu reaches out to embarrassed SuSE devs

On Sat, 2006-11-25 at 15:22 +0000, Andy Green wrote:
> ''
> Novellʼs decision to go to great lengths to circumvent the patent
> framework clearly articulated in the GPL has sent shockwaves through the
> community. If you are an OpenSUSE developer who is concerned about the
> long term consequences of this pact, you may be interested in some of
> the events happening next week as part of the Ubuntu Open Week:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuOpenWeek
>
> We are hosting a series of introductory sessions for people who want to
> join the Ubuntu community - in any capacity, including developers and
> package maintainers. If you want to find out how Ubuntu works, how to
> contribute or participate, or how to get specific items addressed, there
> will be something for you. Iʼll also be on IRC on Tuesday 28th to answer
> any questions you may have of me specifically, such as Luisʼ questions
> about our position on software patents.
>
> ...''
>
> http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/81
>
> Just saying... RHAT can do this kind of thing too...

That goes back to my previous rant, where RedHat used to hold the Expos
here in the RTP in Nawth Carolanky. You got to meet and greet all of
your old buddies and sit in the Carolina late summer afternoons and
shoot the breeze. Everyone one big happy family. Now, zilch. My two
cents sez they handed the users over to Mr. Shuttleworth on a silver
platter. PR is all. PR is Everything. Of course,  there is the
fickleness of human nature... all RedHat has to do is to have the
hands-down best distro and all the expos in the world wouldn't top that.
Ric