Re: Metrics and your privacy

Bruno Wolff III wrote:

I like Alan's suggestion. I think the real issues here is that the information
being gathered needs to be transparent and providing it needs to be optional
with the user actively consenting.

If the yum stuff didn't already exist now and historically without causing any comment, I'd agree. But it does. Just asking the question about doing something new has generated fear, "Hell, no!" and handwringing essays on the decline of Western civilization that just crunching the existing logs and publishing the results would not have.

I think that is expected practice and people will expect at least that
level of use of IP addresses. It would be nice to state retention times
(and some juristictions may require long retention times of logs) and
any other intended use of the log data that people might not expect.

Since the IP would be Geolocated and then discarded in the proposed system, I don't think this is an issue.

This is a different issue, but it wouldn't be RHAT but an upstream project that got perverted, like that attack on the kernel a while back

That wasn't the direction I was going with this. That's one way to get
back doors into the software. The other is to have someone from the NSA
(or other TLA) have a talk with very high level management and come to

I did see your point, but my imaginer throws an exception at the idea. Anyone could make a project to allow the forbidden thing, even if RHAT turn their nose up at it anyone can make packages. Look at mplayer or mp3 support for example. I doubt RHAT are on anyone's radar to start bouncing, although MSFT likely have been for some time (especially since they sing the song in the corridors of power about being a powerful spearhead of American interests worldwide so deserving of special antitrust treatment, etc, wouldn't surprise me if there was a quid pro quo or three in there somewhere).

-Andy