Re: inconsistent checksums on copied directories

--- Joe Smith <jes@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> charles f. zeitler wrote:
> > when i copy a directory,
> > using cp -a or
> > cd from_dir ; tar cf - original_dir | ( cd to_dir
> ; \
> > tar xfBp - )
> >
> > and check them both with
> > tar cf - dir | sha1sum,
> > i get different checksums
>
> Alternatively, you can use "diff from_dir to_dir" to
> verify.
>
> Rsync is another good way to copy a whole directory
> tree:
>
> $ rsync -av /src /dest
>
> Rsync does it's own file-by-file verification.
>
> --
thanks for the reply....

my problem is not with by-file verification,
but on the directory as a whole....

charles f zeitler

:                  Do  What Thou  Wilt                     :

:                       Shall  Be                          :

:                The  Whole  of The  Law                   :