Re: Hard Drive Error Disk or Motherboard?

On Tuesday 21 November 2006 08:54, Tim wrote:
>On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 21:21 +0800, Mel wrote:
>> AFAIK, the jumpers also select whether or not the drive uses
>> terminators. The master has the terminators and the slave does not.
>> The terminators must be at the end of the cable or reflections may
>> occur. At higher speeds these reflections are important.
>
>IDE/ATA doesn't use termination, SCSI does.

Yes it does, they just tried to make it so automatic the user isn't aware
of it.  And its worked fairly well, removing the stigma of having to
sacrifice virgins to get a scsi setup working.  For starters,
the 'master' drive or the drive set for 'single' does it, and it MUST be
on the end of the cable for exactly the same reason that the last scsi
device on that cable must be on the cables end connector.  If it is not,
then the terms must be disabled and termination devices plugged into that
last end connector.

Any unterminated cable hanging out past the point of the termination will
cause data destroying echo's on the cable.

Why is it that just because its not mentioned, everyone thinks the laws
governing electrical transmission lines are repealed in the case of an
ide/atapi cable?  Tain't so folks.  You are argueing in a field of
knowledge I'm intimately familiar with with my 60 years in electronics,
44 of that in broadcast.  There, we call it VSWR, but the cause and
effect are exactly the same.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)