Re: Fedora Coverstory in Linux Format

On Thu, 2006-11-16 at 19:17 +0000, Chris Jones wrote:
> > I don't understand all the rave over Ubuntu, especially when it comes to
> > the less knowledgable user.  I couldn't be happier with the ease of
> > working with Fedora, in spite of it's "bleeding-edgeness".
>
> I think part of this comes from what Ubuntu is prepared to install by default.
> Despite its "free OSS" claims it installs by default packages such as
> wireless fireware, NTFS support, flash drivers that have dubious licensing.
> With Fedora you don't get this by default, but have to get from repos like
> livna. Personally, I respect fedora for what it does, but I suspect this is
> part of the difference.
>
> Chris
That would be my take as well. The last time I tried Ubuntu it seemed
OK, but was obviously different, and not all in a good way. Being based
outside the US jurisdiction allows Ubuntu to incorporate some features
that are not available in FC by default, but some of the other odd parts
more than offset that perceived advantage in my view.