Re: Enabling telnet

On Sun, 2006-11-19 at 12:45 +0000, Paul Smith wrote:
> On 11/19/06, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > I need to enable the following:
> > > telnet 127.0.0.1:9734
> > > (but only from my own box). Any ideas?
> >
> > See if this helps you:
> >
> > <http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/wiki/index.php/Quick_HOWTO_:_Ch16_:_Telnet,_TFTP,_and_xinetd#Setting_Up_A_Telnet_Server>
> >
> > Scroll down to the section:  "Basic Telnet Security".  There's
> > information about changing the ports, and the address it listens to.
> >
> > Also look at how you do your firewalling.
>
> Thanks, Tim. Following the suggested HOWTO, I get this:
>
> # /sbin/chkconfig telnet on
> error reading information on service telnet: No such file or directory
----
The instructions clearly state that you would have to install
telnet-server package. Since you give no indication, one can only guess
at what you are trying to do and it seems less likely that you want to
install and run standard telnet package on a non-standard port and more
likely that you are trying to have some process/listener waiting for a
connection on port 9734, in which case, my previous reply is likely to
have the information you need.

Craig