Re: modprobe.conf is ignored

On Sat, 2006-11-18 at 11:13 +0100, Joachim Selke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I own a notebook that has an Intel 3945ABG wireless network adapter. For
> this I use the ipw3945 kernel module from ATrpms. To operate properly,
> after loading the kernel module a daemon (ipw3945d) has to be started.
> According to the documentation this is done by adding the following
> lines to /etc/modprobe.conf:
>
> install ipw3945 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install ipw3945; \
>     sleep 0.5; /usr/local/sbin/ipw3945d --timeout=-1 --quiet
>
> This works fine when I load the module manually via "modprobe ipw3945".
>
> At boot time the module gets loaded but the daemon does not get started.
> I also tested the following line in /etc/modprobe.conf (instead of the
> other one):
>
> install ipw3945 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install ipw3945; \
>     touch /test
>
> Again, the module gets loaded at boot time but the file /test has not
> been created. So I think the install command does not get executed at all.

Did you look in "services" to see if there is a new or old daemon to
start?? There's several wireless services in there that can be started
with little check boxes, I don't use them so I'm not intimate with the
procedures listed, except that I don't use them. So, I have them OFF. I
bet that will help you out. It's simple to use and I like it simple. Ric