Re: [FC5] Intel Webcam how to?

On Sat, 2006-11-18 at 10:34 -0500, Andrew Barr wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-11-18 at 22:43 +0800, Deepak Shrestha wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have an Intel PC Camera Pro webcam and wanted to use it on my FC5
> > machine. I pluged it in  but nothing gets detected. I restarted my
> > machine with camera plugged in, still no sign of detection. Googling
> > around isn't much help. Can somebody guide me?
>
> Try the spca5xx driver. It's not in the kernel and I can't recall the
> web site at the moment, so Google for it. I have one of these and it
> works reasonably well.

Goto the site that Alain noted, spca is deprecated in favor of gspacav1
unless your running old version of FC and an old kernel. The new package
claims to handle 150 different webcams. Seems like webcams are finally
part and parcel of Linux now.

Me, I didn't fool with the rpms... I grabbed the tar package, ran it's
configuration script and it worked like a charm, as long as your kernels
aren't ginked up running different arches from a new FC6 install
(forever to be in the Hall of Shame) and you touch the config.h file as
has been posted. When it made, it worked like a charm.

I used and STILL advocate using kopete to first fire up the webcam. It
seems to set up some sort of config dialog that other apps can use, as
they failed until I ran kopete, then they worked too. Beats me. It just
worked like that for me.

I'm getting pretty good quality, kopete has all kinds of options for the
webcam to adjust the quality to your liking, that is why I suggest it's
use. kopete will also handle just about any style messenger there is on
the net, ALL AT ONCE! Plus webcam chat, on yahoo and any other webcam
enabled chat..., although there are some issues getting it to work
correctly every time. It looks like a contender for the #1 all-in-one
chat app. Ric