Re: x0vncserver HowTo

Please see comments below.

On 11/18/06, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, 2006-11-18 at 17:16, Jamie Bohr wrote:
> We run Windows on the Linux workstation in VMWare server.  Works
> pretty good, there are issues when we copy an exsisting vm session to
> another system, but that is another story.
>
> The application is very graphic and CPU intensive, running it on a VM
> doesn't work.  Good idea though.

You probably aren't going to like it much under VNC either
then, unless it is just for an occassional remote check on
progress.

Yes, occassional use  but on the fly.  Say an Engineer is working on a project and then leaves for home.  They stay logged into their workstation.  Now say they want to work from home on the same project, the very one they have up.  They want to be able to connect to their display remotely.

> Can I assume there is no functionality built into KDE & Gnome to start
> a process when a person logs in (I am able to do this) and stop it
> when they log out (this seems to be the problem)?

All processes normally stop when you log out unless they
do something to dissociate from the terminal.  Connecting
with vnc and disconnecting don't count as logins, though.
Can you be more specific about what you want to happen?

The Engineer stay logged in.

I'm off on vacation this week but when I get back in the office I will try the x11VNC that was suggested.  It sounds more along the lines of what I need.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx