Re: Fedora on an AMD Athlon 64 (3200+) machine

On Sat, 2006-11-18 at 22:20 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Timothy Murphy wrote:
>
> > I have a Targa desktop with this processor,
> > and I have always had problems installing Fedora x86_64 on it.
> > I'd be interested to know if anyone has had similar problems
> > with this CPU, or alternatively had no problems installing Fedora.
>
> I asked this some time ago, and as far as I can see
> only got replies from people running the i386 version of Fedora-6.
>
> Yesterday I installed the i386 version on my Athlon 64 machine,
> and it seems to run without any problems at all -
> I compiled kernel-2.6.18.2 in a few seconds,
> whereas trying to compile the same kernel under x86_64
> caused several crashes during the compilation,
> and when it was complete the kernel only ran for a few minutes
> before crashing.
> (I had the experience trying to re-compile the latest Fedora kernel.)
>
> I suppose it is possible that these problems arise from some fault
> in my computer, but it seems much more likely to be a software problem.
>
> So I'll ask again if anyone is happily running the x86_64 version of FC-6
> on an Athlon 64 machine?

Nope, I stuck with using the stock I686 kernel for now. I don't screw
with the kernel either. I used to, back when, but too many things can
break messing with it nowadays, and it's not worth it to me. I do more
multimedia stuff so I'm sticking with 32 bit for now.

You probably have the wrong kernel vs kernel-devel bug, if you just
installed. One will be i686 and the other i586, I forgot which was
which, but you can grasp the problem. Check this:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fedora-list&m=116211854832755&w=2

Plus the config.h thing.