Re: X and Intel 965

On Sat, 2006-11-18 at 12:53 -0500, Jeffrey Ross wrote:
> so far the installation of FC6 has gone relatively smoothly albeit some
> additional learning and bumps due to the 64 bit architecture of this
> machine.
>
> The mother board is an Intel DG965RYCK which uses Intel's 965 express
> chipset.  Based upon what I've been able to find on the web, Intel has
> released the drivers for this chipset to OSS, although there have been
> issues as to what Intel actually released and how complete they might be.
>
> Regardless I unable to run mplayer (or Realplayer) for that matter
> without the display first freezing then going black followed by garbage
> along the bottom of the screen.  A Control-Alt-Backspace does not stop X
> from running.  The only way to recover the machine from this point is to
> reboot the system.  I am still able to connect from a remote system, its
> just the display that has become unstable.

This is a known bug with the Xvideo textured video extension which was
fixed in the i810 X11 driver git tree. It hasn't been pushed to release
yet and most distros haven't picked up the fix. If I were you I'd file a
bug with Redhat. There's a bug on freedesktop.org that should detail the
issue and the fix.