Re: Problem with kde screensaver on FC6

On 2006-11-17 at various times, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

William W. Austin <waustin <at>  speakeasy.net> writes:
 One user (me, unfortunately) cannot configure the screen saver - any
 other user (privileged or regular user) can click on the "Configure
 screen saver" button and the window pops up with a scrolling list of
 screen savers.  When I do that, I get ths configuration window but
 the
 list is unpopulated.

Make sure you have xscreensaver-base, xscreensaver-extras and
xscreensaver-extras-gl installed.

(LATER)

You could try:
$ yum install kdeartwork-extras
will get you extra (xscreensaver-based) kde screensavers (not directly
your problem) from Fedora Extras.

Find/remove the [ScreenSaver] section from ~/.kde/share/config/
kdesktop, if
you get desperate, you could even try renaming/deleting that file.

(and LATER)

Not (necessarily) required, though that's all taken care of if one
installs kdeartwork-extras from Extras.

I honestly appreciate the replies/suggestions. Thanks. Unfortuntately (a) all of the packages you mention are already installed, and (b) several other users (root, adm, 'real' user id's, etc.) DO NOT experience the problem - the screensavers show up just fine in the config tool. That's why I think it's some stoopid hooman trick which I have inadvertantly added to my environment.

I had also tried variously:

a) removing the [ScreenSaver] section from my
   ~/.kde/share/config/kdesktoprc file altogether;
b) just removing the defines (X=* lines) in that section but leaving
   the "[ScreenSaver]" line by itself; and
c) removing the file completely.

(Naturally I exited my X session and did the changes in console (text) mode and blew away all of the tmp files in /tmp and /var/tmp and got rid of ALL sockets I had lying around after exiting. Nothing changed the behavior. When that didn't work, I tried changing/deleting the file while X was running - it didn't help. :-(

Considering that I also have one other problem (kde keeps diddling my menu system every time I log in, unfortunately in ways that screw up other things), I suspect that I'm going to have to bite the bullet and blow away EVERTHING in my home dir and start over, putting thins back one at a time until I find what the problem is. Sigh.

- Thanks

--
william w. austin                               waustin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
"life is just another phase i'm going through. this time, anyway ..."